Werecats (also written in a hyphenated form as were-cats) are creatures that are generally described as shapeshifters who are similar to werewolves, except that they turn into creatures that are based on some species of feline instead of being based on a wolf.
The species involved can be a domestic cat, a tiger, a lion, a leopard, a lynx, or any other type. An individual werecat can only transform to one unique feline, not to a number of different species, and each individual type of werecat may be known by a more species-specific term such as "weretiger".
Werecat folklore is found on all continents except Antarctica and Australia and is generally based on wild felines native to the area because those lands have no native cats
Europe - European folklore usually depicts werecats who transform into domestic cats.
Africa - African legends describe people who turn into lions or leopards. When these mate with humans, offspring can be produced, and these children sometimes grow up to be shapeshifters. In reference to werecats who turn into lions, the ability is often associated with royalty. Such a being may have been a king or queen in a former life, or may be destined for leadership in this life.
Asia - Mainland Asian werecats usually become tigers.
South America - Werecats usually became jaguars.
North America - Present-day North American werecat legends are usually based on the European model, with domestic cats, either normal-sized or giant, being the favored shape. Cougars appear rarely, and jaguars only appear south of the American border.
- An individual werecat can only resemble one unique feline and not many different species. Each werecat os often known by a more species-specific term, like "weretiger".
- They do not become four legged creatures
- They have a regenerative healing factor, which provides immunisation from viruses, diseases, ageing, etc.
- Werecats biting normal humans, having werecat parent(s), and magic curses are the three central ways in which werecats are created.
- Once in animal form, their mindsets become more animalistic. *
- Many things can trigger transformations. Like werewolves, the phases of the moon can dictate a change, or the individual may change wilfully. In some instances, emotions (anger, fear, etc) can additionally provoke a shift. *
* Control of one’s feral abilities comes with age, practice and experience.Source